Saturday, February 1, 2014

A gig reflection SON LUX 29th of January at Debaser Strand


So....after watching two Man Ray Silent films I jumped into a cab and went to debaser Strand to see Son Lux after a recommendation from my friend Emanuel. 
Son Lux is a one man project by American Ryan Lott.


It is fairly keyboard based with its sonic feet based in 1980s soil. Or maybe its very modern. Sometimes its hard to tell, you know.

On this chilly Stockholm night their guitarist had become sick so the played the gig as a two piece or as I like to refer to the idea....Two monkeys and an apple. Dont get me wrong it sounded great...I have just no idea how much I was listening to that was prerecorded. Ok...I must admit that it annoys me....just a little bit.

The fact that their guitarist was sick felt like a bonus. I didnt really miss anything. It was just great to have all that space for the vocals. The band are also really fond of big washy reverb effects so unless the guitarist plays very small thin fuzzy lines 
I can imagine it getting cluttered at times. 
Now the vocals had a lot of room which was refreshing.

I hadnt heard too much previous to the concert but I really enjoyed the gig and especially the rhythmic parts. It was a lot of broken up lazy triplets which is fairly uncommon in pop. The  drummer was really strong and inventive playing very rubber-y over the click track. So refreshing to hear a drummer who uses the clicktrack as a tool more than a crutch.

Still Im not really convinced...Im not sure what it is. I think it is the fact that I have no relation to the sounds. It sounded occasionally a bit like Tears for fears (which I like) 
but this felt like preset heaven...even though it probably wasnt. 
Also it felt like they hadnt decided if it was a introvert thing or extrovert. You either mumble or you dont. There is no such thing as a half mumble. 



No comments:

Post a Comment