Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Is that a plug-in? Nope....its a Wooly Mammoth.


One of my favorite things is when I have production schools coming to the studio. Its always interesting to hear their impressions of the studio. One time a student asked as I was hooking up a stompbox what I was doing and I explained what I was up to. He had a sort of mildly shocked facial expression as I realized...he had never seen anyone connecting cables before.

Hasse at Atlantis told a similar story of a young band recording....one of the band members passed the Studer reel to reel machine and asked Hasse if it was a plug-in.

Im still stuck in the middle. Halfway between tape and computers. Its my generation I guess.

Yesterday was good. Im feverishly recording keyboards for a secret Heavy Metal album. Its interesting as Im using a lot of different sounds....working with synthesizers, Mellotrons, organs and pedals. 

When I have the future producers in the studio...they always ask me about gear...what should I get?

Well when it comes to analog synths there are a lot of cool instruments out there. Its a matter of finances and availability. But one thing that I was really lucky to stumble across was stompboxes.
You can buy a synth for 500 - 1000 dollars. And then use a 30 dollar stompbox on it and it will become a completely different instrument altogether. And you can also use the stompbox on everything else...A lot of sounds for very little money.

I would recommend a distortion box, a delay and a envelope filter. That will get you a long way. 

Todays video is of me messing with a Korg MS-10 and a Zvex Wooly Mammoth.








2 comments: